Three layers of heaven.
I have always been somewhat intimidated by the cheesecake. New York style cheesecake with nothing on it remains my favorite. For Christmas my dad bought me the book Incredible Chocolate Recipes by Southern Living. I decided since my husband and dad are both chocolate lovers, I would make one of the recipes from my book for father’s day. I sat down at the table, opened up my book and there it was….the chocolate fudge cheesecake.
I almost made the mistake of not making the cheesecake pictured above. This is a great way to begin learning how to make cheesecakes. It is incredibly simple and the preparation took about 30 minutes. Trust me it’s worth the try.
Ingredients for for brownie batter and cheesecake:
2 (1oz) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
1/2 c butter, softened
1 3/4 c sugar
6 large eggs
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped pecans, toasted
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
Ingredients for chocolate ganache:
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1 (12oz) package semisweet chocolate morsels
Top with sliced strawberries.
** I used the remaining whipping cream to make whipped cream. I added a tsp. vanilla extract and a little powdered sugar to top the cheesecake**
- Microwave chocolate squares at high 1 minute and 15 seconds, stirring once, or until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Better butter and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.
- Add flour, beating at low speed, just until blended. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla and chocolate morsels.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans evenly over bottom of a greased and floured 9-inch spring form pan. Spoon batter over pecans.
- In a clean bowl beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smoothe; add 3/4 cup sugar beating until blended. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla. Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until set. Remove from oven, immediately running a knife around edge of pan, releasing sides. Let cool on wire rack.
- Melt chocolate morsels and whipping cream in a double boiler on stove.
- Whisk until chocolate mixture is smooth.
- Spread warm chocolate ganache over top of cooled cheesecake.
- Cover and let chill for 8 hours.
- Garnish with fresh sliced strawberries.
**I used a 9.5 inch glass pie pan**
This desert is truly incredible. It is deliciously rich and sweet. A chocolate lover’s dream come true!
For more information about Southern Living visit www.southernlivingathome.com